Sunday, July 8, 2012

A New Auntie

I became an Auntie less than 48 hours ago.  I spent night #2 in the hospital with my sister, constantly reminded of my experience with LO in those precious moments before we ever got home.  After a difficult birth, I spent my night #2 desperately trying to calm a screaming infant and trying to keep the doubts about my mothering abilities out of my tired mind.  My sister, on the other hand, seemed to be sailing through the experience as if born to do it.  I was afraid to leave the hospital, even asked if my insurance would cover an extra night; my sister wanted to leave early.  I could barely walk or sit for a week or two afterward; sis looks like she's ready to go mow the lawn.  Breastfeeding wasn't working for me initially; she and baby are already a well-oiled machine.  This being Texas, the hospital near their house is brand spanking new and offered a bonus new parents just can't refuse -- steak and lobster dinners the night before discharge.  I wondered if they'd sweeten the deal with a free rifle if my brother-in-law were to get his tonsils out.  The staff looked THAT bored.

Everybody is home now and baby seems to be happy to be out of the hospital and the bad lighting.  I miss LO tons and can't wait to call her in the morning.  








1 comment: