Tuesday, November 30, 2010

First Fever

Thanksgiving came and went and so did the relatives with colds.  Right before my brother left to catch his flight back home, LO came down with a fever.  Her first.  The pout on her face and sad whimper tore me up.  It's unnerving to see your baby sick, something which I've managed to escape until now.  I sat with her in the dark last night and held her while she tried to sleep.  As we rocked, images of my childhood kept popping in my head, times when I was sick and my mom brought me soup, put cold rags on my forehead, took my temperature.  I remember so many of them.  I felt so helpless not being able to snap my fingers and cure LO, then I realized that my job was about more than making it go away.  It was about being there for LO when she needed me.  Making her feel loved.  That's what Moms do.  Nobody likes to have the flu, but there's something about parental TLC at those times that makes you feel better.  LO won't remember last night because she's too little, but that's okay, I will.

1 comment: