Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Success!


A few weeks ago, I took on a new freelance writing assignment.  It was one of those deals where they ask you to send in a list of one-liners (jokes/dialogue for a character) and if they use any of yours, you get paid per joke.  I fundamentally object to this kind of cattle call because you have to do the work and may or may not be paid.  Not a good business model for the freelancer.  But I did the assignment anyway since it only took a short amount of my time and it was for an app, which is kinda cool to work on.

I got an email the other day saying they've chosen one or more of my lines, congratulations!  Where do they send the check?  I just got the check -- for $2.00.  THEY ACTUALLY SENT ME A CHECK FOR TWO DOLLARS.  At this rate, I'm gonna have to seriously reconsider this freelance thing.  The same day the car dealership called to say we need a new motor in the door mechanism that raises the window and it'll cost...wait for it...$1,000.  

They say the thrill of doing what you love is getting paid for it but now I'm not so sure.  Oh yeah and I should put some aside for taxes.  I'll deduct that and treat LO to a Plum Organics pear and mango tomorrow for $1.15.  Ah, the thrill of success!

1 comment: