Sunday, February 26, 2012

Oscars Mania

Tonight we're having an unconventional Oscars party -- the grandparents, DH, me and LO, who is recovering from bronchitis.  It's fun living in LA because we get to watch it all in real time and hear the helicopters flying overhead for hours on end.  If we were hipper, we'd hit a party or two, but really it's not worth the drive (says a tired parent).  Gram is making cabbage rolls from scratch, an endeavor that is taking her the entire day.  It's a cheap party since Gram & Gramps are off the sauce for Lent and I figure why not join them.

I've printed out Oscars ballots for everyone and I'm looking forward to scrutinizing everyone's red carpet looks.  Think about it -- half this town has spent the entire day getting hair, makeup and wardrobe done.  At least we get cabbage rolls for our efforts.  As far as the picks go, there are many nominations that baffle me.  "Tree of Life" was so bad it got booed at film festivals, "The Artist" is nothing special and why isn't it in the foreign film category, anyway?  Good old fashioned Weinstein politics, surely.  My vote for best screenplay is Woody Allen's "Midnight in Paris" and Meryl Streep for best actress (despite the fact that the film was lousy) and Brad Pitt for "Moneyball."

So there's my completely biased POV.  I'll be watching it all with LO, explaining the whole process to her and how she should really avoid a career in entertainment.  One day, if I'm ever nominated, I'll tell her the same thing.  "NO WAY," as she would say.  

No comments:

Post a Comment